- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Torndirrup (Albany), WA
- Product code: DRIFT
Drift back in time 40 years to 20th November 1978, a date etched into the fabric of Australia’s history. On this day a 36 foot Sperm whale was caught by the Cheynes IV whale chaser ship and towed back to the whaling station in Albany. This whale would be the very last whale caught in Australian waters, as the following day the whaling station closed, marking the end of the era of whaling in Australia.
Drift forward 40 years to 20th November 2018, and experience Albany’s Historic Whaling Station like never before. Join a cast of international and local musicians and singers as they bring the unique whaling station spaces, stories and history to life.
Be enchanted by new music as Creative Director and singer Matt Ward leads the cast in a musical festival of stories, song and immersive audio-visual experiences, with influence from opera, music theatre to pub-rock and whale songs.
On the night event guests will be guided through five unique Historic Whaling Station venues discovering a collection of musical experiences along the way. Guests will then enjoy a
hot supper and complementary glass of local wine or beer prior to the commencement of the grand finale performance. Additional drinks will be available for
purchase on the night.
- This is an 18+ only event, strictly no BYO.
- The event commences at 6.30pm sharp, so please arrive on site by 6.15pm. Due to the nature of the performances, latecomers are unable to be admitted. We recommend you arrive at the whaling station 30 minutes prior to the start of the event.
- Albany’s Historic Whaling Station aims to be accessible and welcoming to all. This event requires attendees to move around the Historic Whaling Station grounds over hard surfaces and may have slight hill sections and occasional steps, please notify us of any mobility issues prior to the event.
- Please dress for cooler weather and wear closed flat shoes.
- Mobile telephones and electronic devices are to be turned off during the performances.
- Cameras, video cameras, drones and tape recorders will not be permitted without the consent of Albany’s Historic Whaling Station.
- Chairs, backpacks or large bags are not to be taken into the venue.
- Please refer to our full terms & conditions for more information.